Monday, October 9, 2006

Vintage Rocks!


Sorry guys...I know it's been a while since I posted, but finally...here's an update ;)
For quite some time now, vintage has been a BIG trend. "Everyone" has been going to flee markets, thrift stores and everywhere else where there is a possibility of getting their hands on something that possibly is vintage. So I ask, why all of this craziness over some old, worn-out clothes? Why do people do anything to get hold of things that they don't even know where have been before? And why do people pay sky-high prices for things that have got the label "vintage" stuck on them? Well, you tell me...or I'll try and tell you, because I am a HUGE fan of everything vintage!



(Mary Kate Olsen in a vintage black satin skirt and top...sooo pretty!!)

My love for vintage has excisted for a very, very long time. Before all the hoo-ha around vintage started, I was already wearing vintage from head to toe. When I was younger, I loved playing dress-up with my mum's old clothes, and I thought that going to garage sales was the best thing I could do on a Saturday morning. Well, I'm not that hooked any longer...no, who am I kidding?! I am still obsessed with vintage pieces, and I love going treasure hunting for old and beautiful things!



(Ashley Olsen in a dress made from vintage lace...well well well, it's good to be rich ;p)
So what is the definition of vintage? Well, there are actually two definitions. These are:
1. "Vintage": means that it is most probably 5 - 20 years old.
VINTAGE: from the 70s and earlier (bear in mind that the 80s do not count here)
2. ANTIQUE: varies a bit, but is generally from the 1910s and earlier.

(Rachel Bilson wearing a mustard yellow vintage coat. It really lifts the outfit to another level!)

I am glad that people are starting to love vintage more and more. I love that people can re-wear clothes that have been used before, and that they like wearing it and they look good in it. I'm even more happy when I see people who really and truly appreciate vintage, and who don't just "go with the flow"!

(Rachel Zoe in Vintage Halston. Such a stunning dress, and the colour is beautiful!)

It's so important to understand that vintage is more than just some trend. It is not hard to see that a lot of clothes, shoes, accessoires etc. in the shops are very inspired by vintage, and that a lot of people walk around in clothes that are meant to look vintage. And, of course, I'll admit I have bought a few non-vintage things because the stuff that is produced looks pretty good and some of it really looks vintage. But, I still prefer "the real thing"!

(This gorgeous vintage dress which Nicole Richie is wearing, reminds me so of the 60s!)

The fact is that it is so much more special when soemone is wearing vintage pieces, and they know that what they're wearing has value and how extraordinary it is that they have something that is no longer mass produced. It is one of a kind, and has a history. Maybe a woman, during the 50s, wore the vintage dress you bought while her boyfriend asked her to marry him, or maybe the vintage necklace that you have was a present from a secret admirer to someone who he could not have! You all get what I mean...vintage is something extraordinary, something to take good care of, cherish , and to love and to hold till death do you part!



(Kate Moss wearing vintage Calvin Klein...love it, love it, love it!)


And with these last words, I'll leave you with a picture of a very gorgeous dress worn by the absolute queen of vintage...of course...it's the lovely miss Carrie Bradshaw!! Oh, how I want her closet!


No comments:

Post a Comment