Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The Blogger Style Icons

Part Eight, Ashleigh

I bet most of you know of the gorgeous Ashleigh from the blog I Am Ashleigh, but if you don't you're really missing out on a wonderful and sweet girl with impeccable style. Not only does she wear amazing outfits, which stretches from boho chic to "wangster" grunge, and that many of us want to copy, but she also has an amazing personality. By looking at the photographs on her blog, it really shines through that she is a woman with a golden heart. Ashleigh is one of those girls who are the perfect examples of being "beautiful both on the inside aswell as the outside". Check it out for yourself...


Describe your everyday style
I'm usually pretty casual. I tend to keep the heels for night time and going out, and wear flats/boots/sandals everyday as I am just always bouncing around to new adventures. I'm definitely split in two when it comes to everyday. If the weather is warm, I tend to look towards the bohemian type of look with loose tops, lace florals and tans, but I definitely have a soft spot for the more grungier looks and that's when I reach for the tartan, the black boots, black jeans and black! I definitely wear a lot of black. I've always been a bit of a girly rocker.

Describe your party style
I don't change too much from everyday Ashleigh to party Ashleigh. I really like to stay true to myself and I don't dress up just because I feel I have to. I tend to wear a lot of black and that normally keeps me on the safe side. Oh and perhaps a couple more accessories and definitely some killer heels, that I normally regret after hours of dancing.



What kind of accessories do you use the most?
I always have my Ray Ban wayfarers on me at all times! I tend to wear the same jewellery every day, which is a mixture of gold and silver. My most loved at the moment is a studded bracelet that you would have to pry from my arm.

Where do you get your inspiration from?
I am such a blog stalker! I love stomping around the blogosphere looking for great looks. Because I'm normally in a different season from many of the bloggers around the world, I always keep my favourite photos in one big file and as the seasons change I start to look back through them. I normally buy and flip through a stack of magazines once a month. But it's not just that I love. Different era's and a past rock star, movie star or model can just as easily inspire me as anyone else. I have a stack of photography books which always come in handy. And I'm a sucker for a Mary-Kate fan site too.

Favourite designers
I really want to sound like I know my designers off by heart, but I don't! The fashion giants stand out like Alexander Wang. I'm a massive fan of what he creates. But local designers like Alice McCall, State of Georgia, Lover and Josh Goot definitely make me proud to be an Aussie. Oh and you can't go past Zimmermann for their absolutely amazing swimwear!


Favourite style icons
I really find something inspiring in "real people", like bloggers and people on the street. I like the sense that the style is actually achieveable, so they are probably my first go to. But I'm going with the obvious ones: I am such an embarassingly obsessed Mary-Kate fan. Sienna Miller, Kate Moss, Chloe Sevigny. But I like to take a part of their style and make it my own. As much as we hate to admit it, these girls pioneer what we wear just as much as designers do.

Favourite places to shop?
I'm completely on a student budget so all the chain stores are fairly good to grab something cheap from and then splurge on a nice bag, necklace or shoes to add to it and really make it your own style. Sportsgirl, Bardot, General Pants, Cotton On. I love cheap overseas manufactured clothing for that disposable fashion and then the cheapies like Target, Kmart and Big W! Ebay was once an obsession of mine which I steer clear of now. I love op shops! Not the overpriced ones, but the Salvation Army, Savers/Value Village. I have found gold in these! And of course, American Apparel.

Best shopping tip
If you love it, leave it. If you're still thinking about it the next day, you're free to spend as you please. I live by that (well, most of the time).


Favourite piece of clothing
My leather bomber jacket. My absolute saviour!

Favourite pair of shoes
I'm going with my Oxford lace ups from Ebay right now. They're pretty much connected to my feet. They give me that bit of edge when I'm wearing nothing but shorts and a plain tee. There's nothing better than shoes with attitude!

Favourite accessory
Anything with studs! And over the knee socks!

Best styling tip
My friends dress completely different to me, gosh, they probably hate my style. I used to feel influenced by this and I would change my style when I was around them. I've now learnt to love that I am different, that perhaps my outfit makes people look at me for good or bad. Always be yourself. No matter how you don't think you'll "fit the mould" of those around you, you'll always feel much worse trying to fit in when you were born to stand out.

No comments:

Post a Comment