Thursday, August 7, 2008

opposites attract

I have a split fashion personality. There. I said it. I have been trying to hide it for years in hope that it will change, but no such luck. My split fashion personality means that I don't have a certain look that defines me, a signature style like people such as Dita Von Teese, Kate Moss and Cory Kennedy possess. Let's say, one day I'll wear vintage denim shorts with a white AA t-shirt and a baggy hat, while the other I'll wear a cute, fitted dress with a cardigan and lovely heels. In other words, one day you can see me dressed like Victoria Beckham, the next a little like David Beckham (not that I really can compare myself with these two excellent style inspirators!) No matter how much I try to only choose one look and stick to it, it just simply doesn't work for me.

As this fall is approaching, I have been going through endless runway pictures from all the different collections. Everything from Proenza Schouler to Lanvin, from Burberry Prorsum to Zac Posen, from Matthew Williamson to Balenciaga (I could go on forever!) has impressed me. Still, the two who have impressed me the most are Alexander Wang and Versace. And here you can see that my split fashion personality kicks in yet again. Alexander Wang fronts the bad, rocker chic look with clear references back to the 90s done with a very modern twist, while none other than Versace knows how to wrap up the sophisticated look with the sexy seductive look to perfection.

Alexander Wang











Versace










I couldn't have chosen better opposites. My dilemma now is how to work these looks and combine them into one, instead of doing the sexy, elegant look one day while the other I work the slightly Courtney Love and Paula Yates look. I'm thinking a cocktail dress and ripped up stockings don't work too good together..or hmmm, maybe they do?
Do you suffer from the split fashion personality disorder too?
If so, between which looks and/or which designers?
Images: style.com

No comments:

Post a Comment