Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Blogger Style Icons
Part Five, Richel

This time it's the sweet Richel's turn to talk about her remarkable style. On her blog Ragamala, she posts photos of her wonderful, creative and original outfits, and she never disappoints! She owns so many fabulous pieces that she manages to put together in her very own special way. Richel is definitely one of those girls that you just have to have another look at because they're style is so good, fun and unique. So just keep on reading to get the tips and advice on how to get Richel's lovely style...


Describe your everyday style
My personal style, in a nutshell, would have to be described as low maintenance. Each morning, as I usually wake up minutes before I have to leave, I mentally put together things that I think would look good and add my favorite accessories to dress it up. Since I live in San Francisco, I love taking advantage of the fact that I could dress as crazily as humanly possible knowing no one would give it a second thought.

Describe your party style

I wouldn’t say that I have a distinctive party style, per se, but I do have a pretty active nightlife/social style. I guess I try to make my outfits look more put together and I’m more conscious of how things fit on my body.

What kind of accessories do you use the most? Does it differ from your everyday style to your party style?

My accessories are, for the most part, overly done. My dad frequently visits India for business, and never fails to lug home hundreds of different colored bangles. I also love my moms pearls, silver lockets, and my sister’s Marc Jacobs necklace that she just gave me. I think my accessories translate well from day to night, but for a more “party” style, I avoid mixing metals.


Best styling tip
Stop being so overly conscious of what others might think, you only live once, life’s too short to be wearing a boring outfit!

Favourite designers
I’m going to be really cliché and say Marc Jacobs. He uses such bold colors with such structured design, and it just works for me. He uses a color palette that’s such his own, I love it. If I could afford Luella or any of the designers on net-a-porter, I’m sure I’d be more descriptive in my answer.

Favourite style icons

Alexa Chung, definitely. She never wears jeans or pants and gets away with it. She only has like 20 basic pieces but mixes and matches to create completely new outfits! Rachel Bilson is a big one, also. Her line, Edie Rose for DKNY is so simply adorable. The lines of the garments look so flattering on her, or probably anyone for that matter. If I could mention fictional characters, I’d say Cassie Ainsworth from Skins. She’s so brave with her style choices, she pairs dresses and neon or sparkly leggings with oxfords and men’s blazers, I love it.


Where do you get your inspiration from?
I get inspiration from everything. My mom lives for foreign magazines so I love skimming the pages for different styles. I also tend to get inspiration for different neighborhoods in my city. The Castro is drowned in color, the Haight in culture and imported vintage, and Union Street in structured designer denim.
Favourite places to shop
I shop everywhere! When I have to stick to my budget I go to vintage stores on The Haight. Luckily, I’m usually accompanied by my sisters who donate to the charitable cause that is my wardrobe. When I’m with them, we browse tons of different shops in Hayes Valley , South of Market or Cow Hallow. All of the shops carry different designers and styles, it’s such an adventure!


Favourite piece of clothing
My little boy’s blazer I found at the Goodwill. It cleans up my entire look, and is like perfectly tailored to my body!


Favourite accessory
My grandmother’s silver plated clip on earrings. They aren’t fussy, and they are so ornate; they tell their own story.

Favourite pair of shoes

My Jimmy Choo studded sandals that I got on mega sale. They go with everything, and I mean everything.

Best shopping tip

Never say no to second-hand, it’s my saving grace.


Images: http://ragamalas.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment